Wednesday, September 9, 2009

It Was A Hard Day's Night

Somehow, I survived the day. It was mind boggling trying to process everything that transpired since the morning. When all the tumult finally quieted down, total exhaustion overtook my body, mind and spirit. All I wanted to do was get into bed, relax, unwind and fall asleep.

Then it hit me. Where was I going to sleep? There was no way I was ever going to share the bed with Dick again. I also knew that he was not going to give it up either. So where was I supposed to go? I decided to take out Marni's sleeping bag from her closet and camp out on the floor in her bedroom. To say she was not in the mood for a slumber party or a night of mother-daughter bonding was an understatement. At that point there were no other options. As much as Marni didn't want a roommate, I couldn't crash in Josh's room either. She was stuck with me until Josh would go back to college and then I would move into his room. Talk about feeling like a lost soul. I couldn't even find a place for myself in my own home. Something was definitely wrong with this picture and it was getting more and more out of focus as time went on.

At this point, what I'm about to say shouldn't come as a surprise, considering how my life has been going. When Marni was an infant, the four of us were in a bad car accident that totalled four of the five vehicles involved. Thankfully, everyone walked away from the crash alive. However, as luck would have it, I was the only one injured. To this day, I suffer from neck and upper back problems. After several years of physical therapy, medications, chiropractic adjustments and acupuncture, I'm finally able to make it through the day without being in unbearable, unrelenting pain.

So much for progress. After spending the night on the hard floor, I was back to square one. My neck and upper back were stiff as a board. On top of that, my lower back and right hip, two areas of my body that never bothered me before, were screaming out in pain. Meanwhile, Dick slept like a baby in our comfortable bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment