Sunday, November 8, 2009

Where There's Smoke... There's Fire

Dick is becoming quite the traveler. On Sunday, October 4th, he returned from yet another "business trip" to the west coast. Ever since I filed for divorce, these jaunts have become a regular deal. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of work requires him to get a body wax before he leaves and demands that he pack his swim suit, sun screen and tennis racket.

The following Tuesday evening, while I was in the kitchen washing the dinner dishes, Dick came up to me and asked if we could talk. He then added that he didn't want to argue with me. I asked what he wanted to discuss. He said, "Do you want to end this already or do you want to keep dragging this thing on and on? My attorney sent your attorney two requests for discovery and he didn't get any response. We could keep extending this 30 days here and 30 days there or we can end this right now if you will only cooperate with me." I replied, "You have the nerve to talk to me about dragging anything on and on when you placed numerous phone calls to your lawyer about a loaf of bread that wound up costing a small fortune." He said, "Forget the loaf of bread." I told him, "I can't forget that loaf of bread. You made quite an issue over nothing. If that is your answer, then this discussion is over. You have your attorney who is advising you and I have my attorney who is working with me. I have told you repeatedly that after you took the money out of our account behind my back, I have nothing more to discuss with you. As I've said many times already, I will only communicate with you via our lawyers." With that, I went upstairs. He came up right behind me and said, "You're impossible to talk to. " I went into Josh's room and closed the door. Marni was in her bedroom. Dick stood outside the door and yelled, "If that's the way you want it, you're going to see what's left when the smoke clears."

Thankfully the door was closed and he couldn't see how badly I was shaking. My heart was pounding so loudly, I'm surprised the neighbors didn't call complaining about the noise. Not daring to leave the room, I wondered what Marni was thinking as she listened to Dick's threat.

No comments:

Post a Comment